ALL ABOUT ONLINE COUNSELING
Completing and Returning Necessary Forms
If you are a new client, or if you have NOT signed an online counseling consent form:
After your phone call with client services, you will receive an email from TherapyPortal.com titled “Client Portal Invitation”
- Once you have set up your client portal, click Pending Documents, then Review and Complete. Please complete and return all documents in this section.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click “Download Original Document”
- You will need to open the form in Adobe Acrobat Reader, fill in the form, save it to your computer and upload it back into your client portal.
- If your device does not have Reader installed click Download Adobe Acrobat Reader
- When you have completed and saved the document to your device, click “Upload and Sign Completed Document” at the bottom of your client portal page. Follow instructions given to browse for the saved document on your computer and upload it to the portal.
If you are an existing client and you have recently signed the online counseling consent, all of your forms are already in our system. Client Services or your therapist will let you know if you have missing forms.
Preparing for Your Appointment
Unless you have otherwise opted out, you will receive a text reminder of your session 48 hours prior. You will then receive an email from "email@example.com" with a link to access your Zoom session 24 hours prior to your scheduled session and again once your therapist has started the Zoom session on the scheduled start date/time of the appointment. You will be able to access your virtual session through the emailed Zoom link either via your mobile device or computer.
- We suggest that you download the Zoom video meetings app to your electronic device prior to your session time. www.zoom.us/download
- A few minutes before your appointment time, open the email you received from "firstname.lastname@example.org".
- Click on the "JOIN MEETING" link within the email.
- If joining from a computer or laptop: After selecting the link, you will automatically be connected to a video Zoom meeting using your device's microphone, speaker and camera.
- If joining from your mobile device or tablet: After selecting the link, the Zoom video meetings app will open and invite you to join the virtual meeting as a guest. You can choose whether you want to join the meeting by video call or audio only and confirm that you want to join.
- You will be added to the virtual waiting room in Zoom until your therapist starts your session.
- Please unmute your microphone and give your camera access within the app.
- Please Note - You will receive a newly emailed Zoom link via for each virtual Zoom session.
In addition to the emailed Zoom links, you will also have the option to join the Zoom meeting directly from your patient portal. Under "Messages" you will have an invitation to the session from your provider.
What You Need for a Great Virtual Visit
The Center recommends having these on hand for a successful virtual visit:
- A charged, plugged-in device (phone, laptop, iPad) with a strong signal. You don’t want to run out of power or lose your connection during your session. Use Wi-Fi if your cellular data plan is limited.
- Use a headset or ear buds with a built-in microphone if you have it. It makes it easier for you to hear and for your therapist to hear you.
- Check your microphone on your device and volume.
- Find a quiet location with good lighting. Turn off the television and other distractions, mute notifications on your phone/device, and tell others in your house you’ll be busy for the next 45 to 55 minutes.
- Be patient with technology. If your device is not working properly, phone sessions are effective and you’ll have time to troubleshoot before your next session.